Monday, February 22, 2016

Teaching Michael Mondays (2/22) -- The "Beany Pasta" Experiment

Michael texted me last night:

The conversation continued:


Oh gawd... it sounded terrible. Who puts green beans into pasta with marinara sauce?? Where does he come up with these combos?!

But being the supportive sister that I am, I simply told him to rinse the green beans thoroughly, and to send pictures and a detailed review.



Finished product... I still can't get behind those green beans

"I've cooked (and made myself eat) far worse things"..... Wonderful. Our mother will be gratified to know

My recommendations:

First of all, I would've avoided canned green beans like the plague. Canned products are useful pantry items -- I regularly use canned mushrooms, kidney beans, chick peas, cannelloni beans, water chestnuts, corn, and tomatoes -- however, I stay away from all other veggies. I find that the canned vegetables often have this overwhelming bland, metallic taste that can't be overcome, no matter how much seasoning I use. 

I recommend keeping frozen vegetables on hand instead. In fact, Michael, Trader Joe's has a great selection of frozen veggies -- including green beans, onions, pearl onions (highly recommend for stews), and asparagus. 

I also think that one needs to be more heavy handed with spices when working with canned and/or frozen products. In a sense, you need to bring these ingredients "back to life."

Another idea to "fix" this one -- turn the mishap into soup. Add a can of tomato soup, plus vegetable broth until you've got the right consistency. Up your spices, and you're good for round two.

Michael, I understand you wanted to use up the green beans -- maybe look for a simple minestrone soup recipe for the last few cans? Also -- I've got a great recipe with cannelloni beans and pasta you might love -- check it out here.

I think this pasta thing is getting old -- time to step up your game to proteins, kid. Don't worry, we'll tackle it next time.

3 comments:

  1. i did think it was a weird idea ... butttt ive done a similar thing. ground beef or turkey with mixed veggies (carrot/green bean/corn/frozen) with diced potatoes and pasta sauce (not entirely marinera). and great point about the spices, when i make it i tend to use a good amount of sauce and put alot of crushed black pepper, both before the meat is cooked and while its cooking all together. i think that with the beef or turkey it would taste better than the white beans. but sometimes ya just gotta use what ya got! looks alright though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We totally put can green beans in our pasta. (Sometimes peas, corn or beans)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected! :D I'd love to hear how you make them more palatable?

      Delete