Monday, January 11, 2016

Teaching Michael Mondays (1/11) -- Meal Planning and Pantry Essentials

Meal planning is important, but can be daunting. However, I find that it's less daunting if you make a plan to have "options." Let me explain: A balanced meal needs to have protein, carbs, and vegetables. So, something that's helped me is to make sure that I always have "options" for each in my pantry and fridge.

(Michael keeps kosher, so those who don't observer these dietary restrictions should use these tips as guidelines and add their own healthy favorites.)


  • Protein options: 
    • Hebrew National Hotdogs -- I stick with the 97% fat free ones which are 1 sp each. I recommend buying a few packs and storing them in the freezer. They're fully cooked, so you can cut open the frozen pack, remove two links, microwave them to thaw, and either sear them in a pan, or chop them up to add to pasta.
    • Chicken breast -- buy a pack of three boneless/skinless breasts and cook the entire pack on Sunday afternoon/evening. Store cooked chicken in tupperware and add to meals as needed during the week. 
    • Tuna -- not just for lunch anymore. Crack open a can of tuna, and throw it on top of salad with other components for a heartier salad.
    • Beans -- Make a healthy fajita bowl, quick chili or toss onto salad. 
    • Beef -- This tends to be a "treat" in my kitchen, but if you're living alone, I recommend looking for packs that have 4 ounce portions and separating into freezer bags when you unpack after shopping. 
    • Tofu -- I go with extra firm, and add to stir fry or bake as a "steak." The catch here is that you need to use the package within a week.

  • Carb Options: 
    • Pasta -- Make sure you measure out a portion because living alone can EASILY lead to engorged portions.
    • Rice -- I HATE cooking rice. I do. I can't stand it. Luckily, there are these "minute rice ready cups" at the grocery store that you can microwave for a minute to add to stir fry, fajita bowls, or pair alongside beef or chicken.
    • Potatoes -- Keep a few on hand (they do spoil, so be careful). To prep baked potato -- wash, and pierce with fork or knife and then microwave for 5-8 minutes depending on the size of potato. 

  • Veggie options:
    • Frozen veggies -- ABSOLUTE LIFESAVER. YES, they are not as flavorful as fresh, but they're cheaper and more convenient. You can do a "quick roast" in the oven on a sheet tray, or saute in a pan with different spices
      • What's in my freezer:
        • Brussels Sprouts (MULTIPLE Packs)
        • Stir fry blends, including one that's broccoli heavy and one that's peppers and onions
        • Broccoli
        • Cauliflower
        • Green Beans
        • Asparagus (they have this at trader joes, for sure)
        • Pearl Onions (Add to a crockpot)
    • I also keep fresh veggies on hand. Note: THEY SPOIL so use quickly. They're also more expensive. I recommend:
      • Bell peppers
      • onions -- I go back and forth about whether its worth it to buy a 3-5 lbs bag or individual loose onions. While I go through the individuals faster,  I often find that the bag always has 1-2 bad onions which spoil the rest of the bunch.
      • Mushrooms
      • Broccoli
      • String Beans
      • CARROTS -- Can eat raw, throw on tray for quick roast, or toss into crockpot.
      • Celery


No comments:

Post a Comment